where the primitive meets civilized

where the primitive meets civilized
naive and sentimental onlooker

jeudi 9 février 2012

Pilgrim's Progress on Involutive journey

In my previous posts I defined the ground rules of value systems that guide my journey through History.

I would now like to define the reasons why history has such fascination for me, to have marked my personal memory; its tipping points in the evolution of western civilization my intellectual and emotional nexuses and what they have taught me about Man and thus of myself.

This selection of events, what I call my "Involutive" process, march backward through time, is purely subjective and is the framework which helps me understand the enigma of current times. There is thus reason in my madness, this passion for discovery of a 'crimson thread', fragile link which teaches me the essential truths about ourselves.

Historical analogy's function is to teach us about ourselves by looking through the backward lens and by sifting facts and events in terms of our current "value" perspective. That is in essence the sense of my enquiry. I hope you share it.

"Involuta", historical quest, I would like to think is of actuality for all humans.
The past teaches us about the present and the future. That is its fundamental role; as human nature is a recurrent trait. An atavism of sorts for different families of its aggregates. We do not all have the same priorities. That is an evidence. But debate and cross examination in dialectical mode can help us understand the other and thus ourselves.

Whatever the excellence of our best elements in society, as a collective species : Man, we stay alas, the sons of Sisyphus. We are condemned to repeat the past if we forget its lessons.
Which we do constantly, as in current times.

This is the sense of my passionate quest. I hope you share it.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire